Pages

Saturday, March 19, 2011

March 19, 2011

Grandpa Bunny passed away today. March 19, 2011. I went to see him this morning at 11:00. He wasn't awake. Sleeping. His breathing was labored. He couldn't respond to anything. I kissed his cheek. It was warm.

My family was meeting at his home this afternoon to give him a blessing. I tried to get work off but I couldn't. I figured I could go see him later tonight.

I got a text message at 2:30. Grandpa passed away. The family was gathered at his home. I was headed into work so I immediately turned around... It was a long drive. No radio. I drove to fast.

I got to my grandparents house and was greeted by my parents, aunts, uncles, and cousins. Wet eyes. I felt guilty. I should have been there. I should have listened to my father when I was 16 and he asked me to take down his life history for my young women's project. I didn't. I figured I had lots of time to do trivial things like that.

My grandma was sitting next to his bed. Holding his hand. I walked in to see him. He looked peaceful. Happy. I grabbed his hand and kissed his cheek for the second time today. It was cold. He wasn't there.

My dad said something tonight that made me happy. He told my sister that he could now watch her every time she danced. Something he loved to do. He loved watching his grandkids. He was so proud of us. He loved listening to Sam sing. Watch Maggie tumble. See Eliza dance. He cried every time he watched me perform. He loved us. We loved him.

I think he's with his parents. With his horses. I think he's fishing. I'm sure they had a big reunion. He was watching my little sister today at her gymnastics meet. He will watch me this summer when I sing. He knows my children. He is getting to hold them.

I love my grandpa Merrill. He was a wonderful man who raised 7 children in the gospel. He worked hard. He will be missed.

3 comments:

  1. oh hannah. i'm so sorry. this is such a sweet tribute to him.

    ReplyDelete
  2. This was beautiful. You are such a talented writer. He was a wonderful man and you are pretty amazing too!

    ReplyDelete
  3. This made me cry, Han. Your grandpa is such a sweet man and I am glad I was able to know him. Thank you for sharing this. Love you.

    ReplyDelete